Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Do all of these social media accounts spark joy?

In reading Context Collapse and Student Social Media Networks: Where Life and High School Collide (Dennen et al, 2017), I felt myself catapulted back to life as a collegiate sorority member listening to lectures about how we were not allowed to block the Vice President of Standards on on social media accounts and "finstas" (fake Instagram accounts) were against the social media policy.

"I want it to rain so I can wear my rain boots"

While I never had a finsta where I posted unflattering photos of myself or those within my circle, I now have three Instagram accounts in my late twenties. There is (1) my original private Instagram account where I follow all the various friends and acquaintances I've acquired over time, (2) my Instagram account where I follow influencers and content creators in my various interests, and (3) an account I have created for this class as a public profile.

Sometimes, scrolling my original Instagram account would leave me in a funk as I found myself comparing where I was in my own journey to others my age. In my post-partum depression, I found myself as a single mom unable to connect to the majority of my circle that were single without kids, married in newlywed bliss, or twice my age happily spending their days in suburbia. It was in this down that I found a community online and built my interests in eco-minimalism, motherhood, mindful living and plant-based lifestyles and created a second Instagram account.



Two pairs of jeans, two Instagram accounts.

Enter this class. While not embarrassed by the amount of my time in Tallahassee that I spent in Ken's, I felt that it was probably more professional to keep that content within the confines of my private account. I also did not want to bombard those not in the field with coursework not applicable to their lives.

A break down of my social media accounts and followers

Two pairs of jeans, three Instagram accounts (and two Twitter accounts, a LinkedIn profile, YouTube account, and Pinterest.)

So why divide my accounts?

I don't believe it is out of fear of context collapse in all cases. I would say the Twitter and Instagram accounts created for this class would be to avoid any negative fallout that could arise from being too open with personal history as well as separate my "class life" from my friends. The accounts I have created with the intent of following my interests is more of a compartmentalization of habits.

This brings to mind authenticity online. Is one of my online personalities more authentic than the other? Does compartmentalizing aspects of ourselves online in fear of context collapse hide our true selves? Is it all a curated performance? Do we tailor ourselves in person as much as we do online?



8 comments:

  1. First, I am also very into minimalism and not only in the physical space, but also digital and mental. That is something I am struggling with in regards to this class, I feel like I am being bogged down with all of the accounts and keeping up with so many different sites/people. I have been working for a couple years to minimize all of the above!
    Your questions of authenticity are thought provoking, and one reason that I originally wanted to minimize my online presence. I feel that a lot of us are losing our authenticity, especially online. Remember in school when peers would call others out for being "two-faced" and behaving differently when with other people, I wonder how that transitions to our online selves. There is a time and place for certain behaviors that we may curb according to where we are and who we are with, however, I hope we do not "tailor ourselves in person as much as we do online."
    But, another thought, as humans we seem to be very binary, yes/no, this/that, up/down, smart/dumb, pro/anti, love/hate, 0/1. But the real answers and feelings are usually more in the middle, just like our real authentic selves are a combination of many thoughts, feelings, and beliefs. So being able to explore all of these parts of ourselves in a safe way online may not be a bad thing. Really, like most things, the answer is probably somewhere in the middle.
    *Sorry if the reply is a little rambling.*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodie, never apologize for rambling! You have read my blog posts which are just a string of thoughts on and on hahah

    I commend your movement to digital minimalism -- I have listened to podcasts, read books, and watched videos that tout the benefits of disconnecting in this way. For me, clearing out untouched clothes and excess "stuff" was easy. My digital footprint is more difficult. I cut the cord to Facebook when first discovering minimalism, but it stopped there.

    I love the point you bring up on kids and the always knife-twisting dig as being "two-faced." That was always a deep cut in a fight among friends, yet it is something I think we champion as adults. The ability to "read the room" and adjust accordingly; something we don't consider to be disingenuous as adults. I think you are correct in saying that it falls into the grey, the middle.

    Authenticity is something that is often a focus in the Fraternity/Sorority realm. "I shouldn't have to brush my hair, wear makeup, etc. for recruitment. They should like me for me - my authentic self!" We connect it to being your "best self"-- the best version of your authentic self, the version that would show up to a job interview. Perhaps online we are free in some ways to leave our best self behind and focus on our authentic self?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many things I love about this post! I have struggled with the volume of social media as well as wondering about my "authentic self" online. But, as you commented, I think we tailor ourselves in person as well. I do not say the same things or act the same way in different situations or with different people. I'm reminded that when I was a child there were certain things our Mom told us not to do at my Grandmother's house. There were also certain things we couldn't wear. We were not our "authentic selves." Was that because she was older? Was it just respect? I don't know but I can say this, I don't think it diminished our relationship with our Grandmother. It kept doors open for other interactions and I have wonderful memories of times with her. It was a good thing, I think.

    Sometimes we are silent or change our words or actions to be polite or avoid confrontation, to encourage relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I love the example of how you adjusted your behavior around your Grandmother and the potential effect of respect for others. Respect wasn't something that initially came to mind in the conversation around authenticity, but I feel that is an important aspect to consider! I enjoy beer and have a love of trying new local brews when out for dinner, (well, when I used to go out) but I have friends that now abstain from alcohol. Out of respect for their choices, I don't drink at those dinners. This is a small change, but a change in my habits or choices nonetheless.

      Delete
  4. Kendyl, I really enjoyed this post and I believe most people out there can relate. The authenticity part you touch upon at the end is such a good point. I give you credit for staying up with all of the Instagram accounts you have mentioned in this post! I know I would not be able to do that simply on one social media platform. I think Lori brings up a good point about the authentic self and tailoring ourselves when around different people. That was an excellent example. That is why I believe it is crucial for youth to understand that someone you follow whose life seems 'perfect' online, probably is not perfect in real life. As you had mentioned, your own experience with comparing to others your own age. It is important to keep things always in perspective and understand what is realistic and what is not, therefore you have a less chance of falling into a funk or constantly comparing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic, I found this post insightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney, thank you for reading! I agree, I think there needs to be more conversations addressing how online personas are a curated sampling of a person's life. I remember when I was a teen that there started to be a conversation around Photoshop in magazines and runway models being more emaciated than ever before. I knew photos were retouched, but it still effected my own self-image. Magazines were also easier to ignore than social media.

      Fast-forward to adulthood where I know my friends do not have easy lives, but it can be easy to fall to comparisons. I wonder how do we promote that conversation to the youngest users of social media?

      Delete
  5. I loved reading this post Kendyl, and I am intrigued about your other Instagram personality and learning more about embracing minimalism. I think everyone has touched on that we all can relate because we all do this in person to an extent. I actually teach about how our personality changes based on our environment in my AP Psych class and I always ask the kids- would you act the same way with your parents that you do with your friends at lunch? And of course they always say no!

    You have really made me wonder about how much we shift our personalities though, and if we do it more in person, or online? I don't think I have an answer for myself, personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what an interesting conversation to have with high school students! I would love to hear more about your experiences and your opinion on their viewpoints.

      I think it is something that is so automated for many of us, shifting personalities. Personally, I am really snarky in person. I've realized over the years that my humor does not translate well in the written word. My online persona(s) follow the question you posed to your students - if I would feel uncomfortable with my mom reading it, I don't type it.

      Delete