Monday, May 25, 2020

Ongoing

Even in our WFH lifestyle where days don't matter, I find myself lost within a three day weekend where I feel that Monday is actually Sunday. On a personal note, this week saw me travel 11 hours by car to my out-of-state home with a toddler to prepare her first home for closing. I will now have to live within the hour difference of Eastern and Central time zones. A simple task that I struggled with the entirety of my time as a Nashville resident.

Welcome home!

All of this "life" stuff resulted in me not being able to play and marinate as much as I would have liked to within the content of week two. Now settled, I plan to remain in the sandbox to explore Digital Natives further while we also move ahead into the content of week three.

I love interacting with everyone through comments and so many brought great perspectives into the mix. While I am really enjoying blogging, I do feel that the spread of comments may lead to a lack of interaction in a way. But seeing more fleshed out opinions and experiences in other classmates blogs has been an enriching experience. 

Overall, I feel that the conversation of Digital Natives is one that seems to live on the surface. Mooper left a great comment that got me thinking. As a millennial in K12 during the period of time designated as the first round of Digital Natives, I can see where tech was trendy and therefore education seemed to slap on a tech "Band-aid" without changing their content. Replication of stale practices and content via a virtual means does not create meaningful change. There needs to be a reorganization or re-thinking of practices.

I think it is unfair of us to label an entire generation as tech savvy without taking the time to train them to leverage the tools at their disposal in meaningful ways. At the same time, I find it impossible to think that a generation that grew up around certain technological means to not have a natural inclination to pick certain things up if introduced at a young age.

For example, there are coding camps now for young kids. Just like learning a language at a young age is easier than as you age, I imagine technology in the same way.

I am excited to stay in this topic a bit longer and see how it connects with week three and beyond!


1 comment:

  1. I think your mention of a tech "Band-aid" is very accurate. There was a time when technology tools were purchased by well-meaning administrators (likely because of a cool demonstration given at a conference) and just sort of dumped in a teacher's lap with little training or tech support. I know in my District that has changed considerably. We have more District technology staff that help make buying decisions and more hands-on tech support for the teachers at the school level.

    ReplyDelete