Thursday, June 25, 2020

Padlet Over Pinterest

A few weeks ago when we were introduced to Pinterest as a class tool, it got me thinking about the possibilities of what a collection of educational resources could look like. In trying to leverage Pinterest  as a tool to help me catalog resources, I did not find my results to be as I had envisioned. It wasn't as visually appealing as I had wished and the process felt more involved than I had anticipated. For me to really achieve what I had set out to do, I think I would need to really set out on a social media plan involving accompanying blog posts where more meat and context would be included. It is an idea I will keep on the back burner as I think there is merit, but not now.

Enter week seven.


Padlet was a tool that I was introduced to while facilitating a training weekend in my last position. My co-facilitator and I broke our trainees up into small groups and assigned them with the task of creating a presentation by the end of the training weekend. One group utilized Padlet in their presentation and it blew us all away. Given the short turn-around time, we were not expecting something that looked as polished and complete as what that group presented. My co-facilitator and I took note of the tool as something to look into for future training weekends and facilitated events.

While I never got the chance to implement the platform in any official use, I did play around for awhile before putting it back on the shelf in my mind where a lot of dust gathered. I was excited to be reintroduced to Padlet this week.

While there are undoubtedly a plethora of uses for Padlet, I find it to be a wonderful library for resources I come across. It is visually appealing, simple to create and can host links, videos, and plain text in a way that is searchable. There is space to annotate and decipher themes and ideas from outside sources.

I am going to try and keep the Padlet tab open as a reminder to save content that I find interesting or of potential use later on. Perhaps I will eventually embed the board into my blog, as this is a sharing feature of the site alongside QR codes and Google Classroom extensions.

4 comments:

  1. Love that idea for Padlet. I've been experimenting with it also. I think I'm going to embed one that utilizes the stream feature to my class website. I like that kids could post anonymously (which is sometimes an easier way to ask a question) but I would be able to review it before it appears on the site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ability for anonymous posting was one of the main reasons my training group chose this platform! I agree that is a great bonus to encourage learners to engage and ask questions without feeling embarrassed.

      Delete
  2. This is the first I am really hearing about Padlet aside from seeing it mentioned in my educator Facebook groups. Definitely sounds like something I could get into-- i do love Pinterest so if its similar, I am going to need to explore it a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think Pinterest has the edge as a user for re-pinning content from others on the site, but I think Padlet would be a great alternative for a class resource list or something of that nature! I like that the 'blurbs' come before the linked resource to provide context to learners prior to them clicking on it.

      Delete