Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Screen-Free (But Not For Me)

I've set out with noble intentions multiple days this week . I do not feel that I am someone that is hyper connected. I am not glued to my phone 24/7 and have gone months without posting to social media in the past. My weekly report said that, on average, I spent just over 2 hours per day on my phone.

I tried. I failed.

I sang the praises of no screen time for little ones (along with many that are more qualified than I to comment) while literally being unable to keep myself away. I watched on in admiration as influencers such as The Minimalists spend every Saturday detached from their phones.

Yet here I sit, unable to disconnect for a measly 24 hours.

Just when I thought "Okay. Today. Today is the day." I would feel the twitch.

What if my supervisor emailed me?
How do I get to that store when the highway is closed?
I need Chinese food, but I don't want to stop watching Gilmore Girls.
Were the people of Kentucky able to vote?

And just like falling off the wagon on a diet, a slight slip for the day cursed it all to hell where I found myself scrolling Twitter at midnight.

So, in light of my failed attempts I decided to look into others that were more successful than I was.


Screenless SaturdaysI love the idea of one day dedicated to be without screens. So many of us spend a minimum of 40 hours a week chained to a screen (or two...maybe five) and i mini digital detox each week sounds like a great idea. Maybe I will be more successful in my next endeavour? Who knows, maybe I will push through the twitch the stars will align and I will want to go screenless every week!?

Reprogramming the Twitch: Joshua Fields Millburn, one half of The Minimalists, decided to ditch his phone for 60 days. In other essays, Millburn has discussed how he has gone without WiFi at his home, so this idea of disconnection is not completely unheard of. His point in regard to the twitch we feel to grab for our phones in line or when waiting for a friend to meet up with us is something I strongly connect with. While it feels uncomfortable to be out alone with no connection in these moments, reaching for our phones may be disconnecting us from real-life connections with the potential loves-of-our-lives or disconnect us from noticing creative inspiration or something even greater.



I Quit Social Media for 30 Days: American Millennials spend over three hours on their phones everyday. Of the three symptoms Matt D'Avella lists, I find myself twitching for my phone for connection. When I get a moment to myself, I want to unwind and catch up with my friends. My phone is the conduit to the outside world. While I don't know that 30 days without social media would be life changing, I do want to work in a detox schedule in my digital life.

Four Rules for Digital Minimalism: 1.) No Screens in bed. 2.) Schedule all emails for one time per day. 3.) 30 minutes of social media per day. 4.) Only stream one day a week. These boundaries are things that would be challenging, but that I feel like I could do most days. (Well, except for streaming only one day a week. While I started my motherhood journey treating screens as a terrorist device, I have since given in to the wiles of Disney+ when mommy really needs a minute.)
All in all, I can appreciate that there are some real benefits to disconnecting for a myriad of reasons like mental clarity and focused productivity. Maybe the week ahead will be be more conducive for a screen-free day!



1 comment:

  1. Kendyl, I too feel your pain and desire to go screenless. It seems like an easy concept for us. Those of us not interested in 24/7 social media or glued to our phones. But in my attempts to participate in the digital detox challenge, I failed! I even told myself, "I'll start at this time." I had similar feelings of "what if someone needed me." I was not so much interested in keeping up with other's activities.
    Thank you for sharing the videos. They provide some insights and encouragement that it can be done! I do find it slightly harder to have less screen time when remote working. But it is all the more reason to try harder!

    ReplyDelete