Saturday, July 18, 2020

Por favor, manténgase alejado de las personas

If you can't tell by now, I am missing going to Walt Disney World an awful lot this week. I have spent most birthdays over the past decade walking through the parks. And yes, being that my birthday is mid-July, it does feel like the surface of the sun.





In the grand scheme of things, its a silly thing to be upset with when there are people losing their lives and their livelihoods and fighting to prove their own humanity. In month four of this new normal, the melancholy is setting in and I long for a good dose of Disney magic.

As our course winds down, I am sad to see the end in sight. I have so enjoyed the topics covered each week and this week was no different. I find a lot of the innovative ideas on evaluation and the motivation of learners in online spaces to be motivation in and of itself for me to continue on the path to education despite current events.

Let me borrow a phase we are all familiar with these days: now, more than ever, the look of education needs to change. We need to keep all of our children and teachers safe. We need to use the tools at our fingertips to innovate and invigorate learners and teachers alike while we connect from afar. In this perpetual pensive sadness, I think it is important to think of the positive possibilities that may come out of this great unpleasantness. 

And with that thought, please stand clear of people. Por favor, manténgase alejado de las personas.

Oh, and wear a mask.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I agree with you on both points. (1) I am missing Disney also! (2) Education needs to change. I will remain positive in my own little world. I know I can create positive out of this situation. I am less optimistic about the bigger picture. So much could change but I don't think it will until the teach for a test culture that has been created is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendyl! I agree with Lori, this was a great post! Your last paragraph was so encouraging. We have to think positive during these difficult times. Learning about different tools can help enhance our teaching efforts as well. Also, Disney is great, I grew up in Orlando,FL. I can certainly relate. We had season passes growing up. I have great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely relate to this. I may be a bitter ex-Cast Member myself, but there are few places on Earth I love more than Epcot. I would give many, many things to visit it right now and although I know that it is open, I just do not want to put myself or others in harm's way. I have heard from past co-workers who still work in the parks that they feel unsafe every day that they have to come to work at WDW, but they need the money to provide for themselves and their families. It's not a good situation and I constantly worry for them. I think I'll just suck it up for now and keep watching Disney+ to abate the nostalgia.

    I agree that although the world may look bleak right now, there are going to be positive changes that occur because of this, especially in education. There just have to be; we can't return back to "normal" as we knew it because clearly it didn't work. I think that our field is going to become even more important as time moves on.

    I hope that you and your family are staying safe!

    ReplyDelete