Sunday, July 5, 2020

Tool Spotlight: Slack

AOL Instant Messenger, Skype, WhatsApp, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Slack -- they are all the similar but different. All of these platforms function to connect those separated by distance, be it across the globe or across the office. They have chat features and away messages.

These chat apps have evolved over the years. No longer do I get to represent myself as KrazeKC14 and a princess crown with a cat meow when sending new messages. No, now I have a professional photo and my full name. I only communicate with those in my academic or professional circles. I don't post melodramatic song lyrics as an away message. (Seriously, if I saw someone posting deep 90's punk lyrics as an away message today I would probably be concerned enough to call someone)


I still miss the sound of the opening door showing that my friends had just gotten online.



Slack, unlike the nostalgic AIM, is a beautiful and sleek platform. It is easy to use and very rarely do I feel it having to unexpectedly quit or lock up like I have experienced with other platforms that have come into fashion during our current and ongoing unpleasantness.



The project management focus of Slack is what I believe personally sets it apart in my opinion. The workflow capabilities are more user-friendly than others in the field in my experience. While obviously not the complete intent of bringing Slack in as a class tool, I could not help but ponder how it may function in a remote learning class for the K12 crowd. As an adult learner, I would love a space that felt more informal at times to chat or raise questions outside of a traditional discussion board. Being placed into teams for group work and document sharing would be the highlight, of course, but I feel that this connection piece could bridge the gap that many feel is lost in the shuffle to online classes.

Do you think K12 students would utilize some of the features of Slack? Is the chat room now passe? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kendyl - Passe? You'd have to ask someone younger! LOL I think some of the features would work for K12 in many ways. Of course, privacy/permission from IT is always an issue. I looked for info from other teachers about using Slack. Lots of pros. The cons included student preference for all communication to be on one platform. That's something I've heard some complaints about during quarantine-- if every teacher uses a different platform, it can become difficult for a high school student in six or seven classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of using slack or something similar to it in a high school setting. I think I am going to consider using it or similar product in some of my classes this year.

    ReplyDelete