Sunday, July 5, 2020

Social Meida and the Classroom - A Reflection



Social media is a beast regardless of context. There are certainly problematic themes that carry across educational, professional, and personal spaces. Truthfully, I had never considered social media in the classroom a possibility for the K12 crowd due to privacy and exposure to harmful content. The past two weeks have opened my mind up to that being a plausible avenue.

As an adult learner, I have loved learning in an online space. The opportunity I had to communicate with David White a few weeks back was something that fed my academic soul and helped motivate me to learn beyond the course requirement in that subject. Utilizing platforms I know in different ways has also helped me hone real-world skills outside of the basic Microsoft Office Suite or a random LMS. I also feel empowered to channel my own interests into my work in more meaningful ways than discussion board post.

While there are obviously differences between adult learners and children, I feel that those in high school tend to exhibit pillars of andragogy when given the chance to take control of their learning. High school students are already online. Learning how to be responsible online citizens while learning relevant content seems like a win/win.

As I move forward in my own education, I feel more drawn to pursuing K12 as a potential career path. I have so enjoyed peeking behind the curtain and learning about my classmates' experiences in that world. As I reflect this week, I reflect on my own long-term goals.

Like a lot of innovative ideas, I don't know if current structures support the experience I envision, although this upcoming semester may be the time for those in education to test it!

3 comments:

  1. This class has been eye-opening on the ways that social media can be used in education, and I will tell you that I definitely plan on using social media in my high school classroom more in the future. I am happy to hear that you are considering jumping in to the K-12 world. IF you have any questions or want to pick my brain I am happy to chat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate that! If you plan on keeping your blog going through these new adventures I will certainly continue to follow along!

      Delete
  2. This class has opened my eyes as well. I'm looking for acceptable ways to use in the K12 world. But, even if I can't use an exact tool we've used, I'm enjoying trying to find ways to implement the concepts.

    ReplyDelete